This is one of my family's favorite soups. It is a hearty soup packed with nutrient ingredients. This soup also freezes well. So, double the recipe to enjoy now and later!
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 medium carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, leaves included, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Field Roast Italian Grain Meat Sausage links, chopped
2 bunches of kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup of dry quinoa
4 cups of vegetable broth
4 cups of water (more if needed)
1 1/2 Tbsp. dried Italian herbs
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare the sausage, garlic and kale. Add in the sausage and brown, for about 5 minutes. Now, add the garlic and kale to the mixture, and saute for another 5 minutes, or until the kale has wilted.
3. Next, add the remaining ingredients excluding the beans and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. While the soup is simmering mash half the beans with a fork, leaving the other half whole. Then, after the 20 minutes are up add them to the soup pot. Allow to simmer another 5 minutes.
5. Serve piping hot. Regarding the leftovers, more water or broth may need to be added as the veggies, beans and quinoa will soak up some of the liquid after time passes.
Recipe by Produce On Parade at http://produceonparade.com/kale-quinoa-and-black-bean-soup-with-italian-sausage/